Question

NVR-7300 Power Issues

• 30 January 2018
  • 23 replies

Question on the NVR8-7300. I've owned this system since July 2015, ran it non stop w/no issues. Over this past weekend while we out trying to access the system remotely via the Swann app I was unsuccessful. Upon checking the system when I got home I realized there was no power to it. Checked on several outlets as the power pack light showed green. Looks like the output of this power pack is supposed to be 48V/2000MA. I went ahead and bench tested both the power pack by itself as well as the unit. The power pack is only putting out 10V at the end and when plugged into the unit I am only getting 1-3V.

I ordered a replacement power pack and it reads 47.9V output so we are good there.

Question is before I discovered it was a faulty power pack I removed the top cover of the NVR to see this small part which looked cooked. Can anyone identify this part and what function it serves within the NVR.

There are no identifying markings on this part. Upon cleaning off the affected area w/alcohol one of the small soldered leads broke clean so I need to replace it to see if the replacement along with the new power pack will get out system up and running again.

Thanks in advance.

23 replies

Found out its a Crystal oscillator so if anyone here could determine the size/type of it that would be great as I'd like to get it replaced.
Anyone at Swann know the Khz or Mhz of this part? The other oscillator next to it the one marked JTC24.000 appears to be in the 37.XXX range would this coincide to the damaged oscillator?
Userlevel 5
Hi Ty,

I have asked the question of QA, but they have not responded as yet.

It may be that the information is not available.
Thanks MichaelC!
My NVR8-7300 is about the same age. It quit working during the night last night. Power supply shows 47 vdc output. When I plug it in, lights flash on front panel and fan does a partial oscillation, then nothing. The same component on my circuit board looks as does yours.

My NVR8-7300 is about the same age. It quit working during the night last night. Power supply shows 47 vdc output. When I plug it in, lights flash on front panel and fan does a partial oscillation, then nothing. The same component on my circuit board looks as does yours.

Yes Sir, same part. Hope you have better success than I'm having.
It would seem that Swann would have someone on here who could tell us if this can be fixed. Or, they could suggest a new/refurbished replacement. I repaired circuit boards and aircraft instruments when I was younger. It seems these days it is cheaper to replace the whole NVR than to replace the part or the circuit board. I would be worried about some of the surrounding resistors being damaged by heat.
You would think. My son suggested I send it to this younger guy on YT who does nothing but take on complex circuit board repair. Sometimes working on projects that most companies will not touch. Its an option, as there is nothing wrong with my system other than this part.

Edit: Your spot on w/your comment here.

"It seems these days it is cheaper to replace the whole NVR than to replace the part or the circuit board."
I called Swann tech support yesterday and was told that since my part was out of warranty I would need to talk to customer service. Customer service sId send it to them and for $50.00 diagnostic fee they would tell me what was wrong with it. They sent me to “repair” who told me it would cost more to repair than to buy a new NVR. Quoted me a price of $309.99. For $200.00 more dollars I could buy a new system with four more cameras. I have been looking at Holvision NVRs and may go that route. SwannView customer service is abysmal!
I called Swann tech support yesterday and was told that since my part was out of warranty I would need to talk to customer service. Customer service sId send it to them and for $50.00 diagnostic fee they would tell me what was wrong with it. They sent me to “repair” who told me it would cost more to repair than to buy a new NVR. Quoted me a price of $309.99. For $200.00 more dollars I could buy a new system with four more cameras. I have been looking at Holvision NVRs and may go that route. SwannView customer service is abysmal!

This is verbatim what they told me as well. I ended up getting the NVR 8-7400 for a decent price online (under $800) so if & when I do ever find out what size oscillator this is I'll used the other system as a back up or just as an expandable setup. I will say however and this is off topic, there is a very noticeable difference between the 3MP & 4MP. Just FYI.
I meant to say Hikvision NVR. They apparently make Swann NVRs. They have one that accepts up to 6mp cameras. I may end up with the Swann kit with four 4mp cameras for $599.99 right now.
Userlevel 5
Hi everyone,

I have asked, but no response has yet been received.

My initial impression was that it was an electrolytic capacitor and the residue was leaked electrolyte.

It is marked as 'X2' though, which implies it is related to the 'X1' part which is clearly a signal generator (crystal/other).
Hi everyone,

I have asked, but no response has yet been received.

My initial impression was that it was an electrolytic capacitor and the residue was leaked electrolyte.

It is marked as 'X2' though, which implies it is related to the 'X1' part which is clearly a signal generator (crystal/other).

I'm not sure we'll find the answer honestly. Your right in that both X1 & X2 are connected.

I did end up purchasing a new system. Inside when I checked out the internals it is the same setup but the X1 is identified with a different number. The new 7400 has as a small layer of white sealant around that oscillator holding it to the board just as this 7300 had at one time before it went bad.

I would still like to get this 7300 back up and running though.
I also have a NVR8-7300 the same age as those mentioned that quit working recently. The power enters the unit very sporadically with short flashes and long nothing. After reading these posts I decided to open up the unit and check to see if I have the same issue. Looks like I do. This is starting to become a recurring issue.
I was also looking at replacing with the NVR-7400, but if the construction is the same, I’m not sure I’m willing to replace my system every few years

Same issue here. Remote view not working, powered down, removed power and powered back up. Whole unit just flickers, all the lights.
Same component looks like it ruptured and leaked out.

Contacted customer support and technical support many times and they are absolutely no help or they don’t want to help. Anyone have a clue as to what frequency oscillator this is?
i don’t want to have to order 40 different ones and try them all out.
Userlevel 2
Hi all,
We are really sorry for the delay on this but I finally have a response from the hardware guys. They have confirmed that this component is a crystal oscillator for the real time clock and is in no way related to the power circuit. The only issue you would see if this component failed would be the date returning to 2000.
I checked some boards we have here and noted that the brown substance on the component is actually a glue used to stop it moving around on the board from vibration etc and is not necessarily related to leakage. I was not given the spec but have asked this again specifically and hope to respond on this soon.
Userlevel 2
Hi all,
From the hardware guys, this is the spec of the component you have noted in your images: 32.768KHz/5ppm/12.5PF/Φ2*H6mm

Hope this is helpful.
Hi guys I recently had the same issue with my NVR. After a power outage when it returned all the lights on the NVR was just black blinking. Did some testing on the unit and the power supply. Power supply showed 48.8v without load and drops to 35v under load. I repaired power supply by replacing the four small capacitors on the power supply board. System up and running again. For those who not familiar with electronics and repairs you just need a new power supply. Hope this helps
Hi, Having read all the above comments carefully, I had the same issue of all the lights blinking and the fan doing half a turn. I checked the voltage output from the power brick and it showed 48volts and the green light was showing. My assumption was that the power supply was OK and that I would have to buy another NVR unit or upgrade to latest model. I really did not want to buy another NVR so I hunted around on You Tube and found a guy talking about the power block should make a constant noise if OK but click if was faulty. ( I cant find the link now, sri) I thought that this was a wind up as you have to put the block right up to your ear, however I gave it a go. When it was NOT plugged into the NVR it did make a constant noise, however when I plugged it into the NVR and the lights where flashing it started to click. I ordered a new power block and it has fixed the problem. hope this helps😁
Sorry forgot to say that the UK supplier of the new power brick said that he had recently been selling a lot of these power supplies so it seems that they are all failing at the same time. My unit was plugged in on January 2016 and worked 24/7
My NVR8-7082 lost power to cameras. Checked power supply and had 48V. Plugged it into the NVR, 48V (constant "noise" too as mentioned above). Plugged in a camera and the light oscillates between bright and dim, as does the "noise". Measured voltage at the plug on the PCB.... oscillating between 20V and 35V.

Tris, which caps did you replace? The large electrolytic in the middle of the board (can't see the value for all the potting over it) looks a bit suspect around the + lead. Will take it to work next week and pull it out in the workshop.

Extremely disappointed with this system. I replaced the 12V plug pack at 2 years old. System is 4 years old now.
My NVR8-7082 lost power to cameras. Checked power supply and had 48V. Plugged it into the NVR, 48V (constant "noise" too as mentioned above). Plugged in a camera and the light oscillates between bright and dim, as does the "noise". Measured voltage at the plug on the PCB.... oscillating between 20V and 35V.

Tris, which caps did you replace? The large electrolytic in the middle of the board (can't see the value for all the potting over it) looks a bit suspect around the + lead. Will take it to work next week and pull it out in the workshop.

Extremely disappointed with this system. I replaced the 12V plug pack at 2 years old. System is 4 years old now.

It seems Swann, just like every other electronics manufacturer these days designs there components to fail precisely a 1-2 weeks out of the warranty period. Coincidence, clever (sneaky f#$kers) management?? Or is it hidden in the code some where? 🤔🤣🤣🤣
Is it the quality of the components on the board which is out of their control(to a point), maybe it's deliberate or maybe it is our fault, the consumer, for wanting to pay as little as possible for a quality product? Probably all of the above.
Ever noticed how a brand new cars battery lasts 5 plus years and when replaced with the very same battery drawing the very same load they last 2 years and 1 week?? It is by design? Like printer that just stops working for no reason after 100xxx copies that can be unlocked in the firmware. 🤔🤔