Question

Auto-Upgrade DVR8-4980

Userlevel 3
Badge
I have a DVR8-4980 and it appears that Swann pushed out an update overnight. When I powered on my TV which I use to view my cameras. It showed that an update was pending. I was half a sleep and unfortunate didn't pay as close attention to what all it was suppose to have addressed. Maybe someone with Swann Support and provide us that specific info.

The new version: V7.1.0-20180419

If you have your DVR set to auto-upgrade you should see this update automatically. If you have auto-upgrade turned off, you may need to turn it on and then manually do a check if you want to update.

The one thing I am seeing which I won't be able to verify is fixed. PIR and Motion now showing up on all camera's. When I got to Alarm, all 8 of my cameras now have PIR and Motion showing in the menu.

71 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
Well I am replying to my own message. I am happy to report two things about this update;

1. I just checked the Alarm menu and PIR and Motion are showing up on all my camera's and its night time with LED IR's on. This has never happened before usually I have one or two camera's that that say enable or disable instead of PIR and Motion. (Is this a fluke, I guess on time will tell).
  2. I had to reset my Television again once the LED IR's kicked on because my video looked a bit dark. I reset my TV to default values and only adjusted contrast a tad bit, but overall the video quality looks much better. (Previously I had to mess with brightness, sharpness, contrast, LED back-light etc. to get it where it was acceptable and even then it was just that acceptable. Now it looks like it previously did which is very good.
I am curious to hear from others that updated. What is your experience are you noticing anything differently? I did look over at the support web site to see if there was any info on this update, but there is nothing there.

I also got an update on my iPhone today for the HomeSafe View software.
Userlevel 2
I keep trying to update but I only get this screen...

Userlevel 3
Badge
Reaper7 wrote:

I keep trying to update but I only get this screen...

That is very interesting, I assumed because the update was pushed, that it was out there for everyone. I don't know why I would get it and no one else?

Here is a screen shot with the updated version:

Userlevel 3
Badge
Okay, I see that my DVR auto rebooted at midnight tonight. Went right into Alarm and once again there are two camera's that no longer have PIR and Motion as an option. So, I guess we have the answer to the question if this was a fluke. So this has not been resolved.

Some have suggested this maybe a power issue. I am tempted to pick up a couple of additional power adapters and see if that really makes any difference.

Just wanted to update this since I can't change my original post. 😕
Userlevel 2
Even though it read the pir option was on it was not working or picking anything up last night on at least one of my cameras..

here is is a screen shot of a raccoon at my pond .. notice there is no purple to show the pir?Not even the motion ( yellow)was triggered fast enough..

Userlevel 2
I think we need to start a what’s wrong with my 4980 thread... there seems to be a few issues and Swann is pretty slow to respond....
Userlevel 3
Badge
Reaper7 wrote:

I think we need to start a what’s wrong with my 4980 thread... there seems to be a few issues and Swann is pretty slow to respond....

I don't disagree with you there. Today, I rebooted my DVR and the PIR and Motion is back and appears to be working again. This issue is somehow linked to the LED IR's at night. I do have my system on an APC battery backup. I notice the draw of power between day and night is a lot more than what these power adapters that was include is offering. I just ordered two additional power adaptors and I plan to split the load to see if this actually makes any difference. I have my doubts that it will, but it's worth a shot. The thing is we should not have to be jumping through all these hoops on our own. 🤓

It's not all bad though because now that I've adjusted my TV for the better night vision mode. The video during the day is absolutely FANTASTIC! So this update did provide that.
Userlevel 2
I actually have 3 spare adapters that are 12v -2000ma and a set of 2 way spitters for each...I’ll switch them over now and see how that works...I agree we shouldn’t have to do all this work just to get this going.. I purchased this system thinking it was a upgrade to my Dvr8-4500 and so far it’s not.. I’m thankful I kept my old system and I still use it ..
Userlevel 3
Badge
Reaper7 wrote:

I actually have 3 spare adapters that are 12v -2000ma and a set of 2 way spitters for each...I’ll switch them over now and see how that works...I agree we should have to do all this work just to get this going.. I purchased this system thinking it was a upgrade to my Dvr8-4500 and so far it’s not.. I’m thankful I kept my old system and I still use it ..

Yes by all means let me know how it goes! I not sure if its a power issue or just software issue, but the fact that this only seems to happen is when you reboot when the camera's are using the LED IR's it's reasonable to conclude this. The camera's themselves are not defective that I can tell because mine moves around from connector to connector (channel 2 one day, channel 6 one day, channel 8 one day and sometimes 2 channels).
Userlevel 2
You bet... I think your right.. sometimes when it switches over the video loss alarm turns on for a sec or two... so it must be a power issue...
Userlevel 2
So far so good ... they have all switched over and the pir seems to be working on all of them...but I still can’t get the update...
Userlevel 2
They have all switched back to day vision and the pir is still working fine...I’ll keep my eye on them all weekend and let you know how it goes...
Userlevel 3
Badge
Reaper7 wrote:

So far so good ... they have all switched over and the pir seems to be working on all of them...but I still can’t get the update...They have all switched back to day vision and the pir is still working fine...I’ll keep my eye on them all weekend and let you know how it goes...

It looks like we just maybe on to something here. This is something that Swann should have tested during the R&D for this camera system. I think they went cheap and provided these 2 amp power adapters when they should have likely went with 4 or 5 amp. I mean how much more would that have cost them to provide? Trying to save a few dollars without considering the fact that someone may have run a bit longer than 65' cable and we all know the longer the cable the more power it takes. Just out of curiosity are any of your cable runs longer than the 65'?

I also don't understand how I got the update, but it seems no one else did. The silence on this is deafening. 😋
Userlevel 2
One of my cables is 100 feet and the other is 65 feet... it was only doing it to 2 cameras... so far it’s still working...I too thought they would have figured this out before pushing them out the door..and still no update.. I was hoping to clean up all the wires by purchasing a 8 way spitter but now I don’t thing the power supply would run it .. the way it sits right now I have one cord to power the dvr one for the monitor 3 for the cameras and 2 for the mic’s....
Userlevel 2
Hi guys,
I spoke with our Dev guys and it seems that 0419 firmware was up for a short time to test the actual OTA function as part of sign off and OTACORB got it! It is likely to go live at this stage but not confirmed quite yet, hence you can't see it Reaper.
In regard to your PIR drop outs, I have 4 systems here running 8 (2 x 4) cams on 12v 2A PSUs with 4 way splitters and I do not get dropouts like you. We are not ignoring your issue but we are not completely sure at this time what might be causing it. One thing I tried is setting the EQ Levels as per this screen below.

Can you try setting the EQ Level from AUTO to one of the settings (they show the EQ for length in metres and the default for our kit cables is setting 1). I tried manually setting these today and certain settings that did not match the cable I was using did in fact make the PIR and Motion option vanish. Given some variation in cables and connectors the DVR might be mis-setting this value on your systems which causes the signal from the PIR to be lost, so a manual override might be just what you need.
Userlevel 2
Since I added the 3 adapters and the 2 way spitters the pir seems to working good again..I have checked it all weekend and it seems to work fine...I was also playing around with the eq levels and that seemed to improve the picture ... any idea when the update will be available?
Userlevel 2
Thanks Reaper,
I have passed the feedback from here to the hardware team so they can investigate the PIR issue as well. Given some clues from your feedback I have tried changing the EQ settings to see if that affected the PIR and I found that with a totally wrong setting my PIR also was not detected. It may be that due so some issue local to you guys or some cable issue that the AUTO setting is applying the wrong EQ value and that is causing your PIR to drop out. As noted, the hardware guys are now looking into this.
The update that OTACORB is running is in final testing now and should be released in the next few days, the only reason he was able to get it was the firmware team testing the OTA function at precisely the time he checked. What firmware version are you running now as there will be a "transition" firmware that brings the existing DVR8-4980 to the same firmware level of the new production firmware for some of the existing DVRs, if you don't yet have the transition firmware then the new firmware cannot be applied?
Userlevel 2
Hi Reaper,
The firmware update is now on our OTA server, if you have the transition firmware already then you will be able to update. If you don't have that firmware then you will not see the update.
In the image you showed above and mention the Racoon not being detected, I would say that the flowers and such at the bottom of the image have two impacts, one is that they would block some IR hitting the the PIR sensor, the other is that they present a very bright foreground which the image sensor is compensating for which makes the background darker than it should be. If possible please mount your camera a little higher so the closer objects do not reflect so much light as it has the effect somewhat of shining a torch into the lens.
Hi James, according to you, you need to have a transition firmware to be able to upgrade to the newest one, but sorry I can not figure out what is transitional firmware in what version, and how to obtain one so I can go up to next recent releases one, I also need to let you know that I am facing a video loss on one of my cameras a few days back, unplug and replug it make the video come back but it is very inconvenient because it happens regularly once in a few days, hope this update will sort out that problem for me.
Thanks!
I second the question about the transition firmware -- I just got my DVR-4980 this month, and it came with firmware V7.1.0-20180124. When I tell it to check for new firmware OTA, it tells me I'm on the most recent version. Do I need to do a USB firmware update, and if so, to what version?
Note: it's Anzac Day (like Veterans Day / Memorial Day), and Google says Swann Australia is closed. So we may not hear from @JamesC until tomorrow.
Hi -- me again, now with useful anecdotal info! @Reaper7 @Skylex17

I finally had time to manually update my firmware, then it got the OTA. Here's what I did:

1. I started with my DVR-4980 on firmware V7.1.0-20180124, and it still said no OTA update.
  2. I (correctly) guessed that the "transition firmware" was the firmwarethat JamesC linked in another thread, so I downloaded it on a PC, copied it to a USB flash drive, and took it to the DVR.
  3. I ran a manual update with that firmware, and it rebooted.
  4. It came up with the "information box" about a new firmware update, so I clicked OK to install. (I don't know what version number the transition firmware was, since I never went past the info box screen on it.)
  5. I had to put in my admin password, and it downloaded the newest version, and then it said "Notice: Updating remotely..."
  6. After another reboot, it came up running firmware V7.1.0-20180419
Things look good so far. Uploads to Dropbox are working. PIR & Motion appears to work fine (most cameras are in night mode right now), and HomeSafe View works on my Android tablet and Win10 PC.

The whole process took less than 20 minutes.

Userlevel 3
Badge
Reaper7 wrote:

Since I added the 3 adapters and the 2 way spitters the pir seems to working good again..I have checked it all weekend and it seems to work fine...I was also playing around with the eq levels and that seemed to improve the picture ... any idea when the update will be available?

I to spit my power between additional adapters. Initially it was promising. However, the issue is when the system reboots at night. When this happens then I will always lose 1 or 2 camera's with PIR and Motion.

Reaper reboot your system at night and see if this happens. It won't happen if you reboot during the day.

So right now I can say this has made no difference for me.

I did also try changing the setting from Auto to 1 on the Camera settings and this also made no difference.

One thing that the update mentions is improved detection of PIR camera's. With the older firmware during the day sometimes PIR and Motion wouldn't show up. Now it always show's up it's just at night that I will have 1 or 2 camera drop the PIR and Motion.
Userlevel 2
I’ll test it tonight and get back to you...
Userlevel 2
Hi guys,
Thanks very much for your feedback on the missing PIR option, we are chasing this hard here but are finding it very hard to reproduce.
Reaper you mentioned a 100ft cable on your system, what brand is that cable and what part or product number?
OTACORB, are you using any cables that did not come with the kit? We are trying to reproduce your environments more closely here and need as much info as you can share.

For those wishing to transition to the new firmware that will support some new features that are coming soon, this is the transition firmware release as noted by tagunter in from my other thread.

While only available for manual update via USB now, in the next day or so this will be on our OTA system to transition all existing DVR8-4980 DVRs over to the new firmware type.