Question

Swann pan and tilt 1080p WiFi security camera - how to connect remotely ?

• 11 January 2018
  • 21 replies

Userlevel 1
I set up the cameras last night and connected my smart phone/the camera/my hone WiFi.
When I come to work and connect to the WiFi and open the alwayssafe app I cannot connect to my camera. It says it is offline, but I have phone home and am told it is definitely online.

What can I do to connect to it? Is there something that I have missed in the setup ?

21 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Hi Dslack66,

Welcome to the community!

Office networks are usually restricted at some point, have you tried other WiFi connection or maybe using LTE? What error message did you get?
Userlevel 1
Hi John. Yes, I have tried several other WiFi connections. The error I get is that the camera is offline. Tat is not correct as I went down the street to a friend's house to test it on their WiFi. It said the camera was offline, so I phoned home and my partner confirmed that the camera was definitely online.

What is an LTE ?
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Hi Dslack66,

When your partner said it is online, does he/she tried accessing it on the app too? When I said LTE, I was referring to your mobile data? Try using that instead of WiFi and see if you will get the same result.
Userlevel 1
Hi John. She she was able to see to see and control the camera on the app. I will try with mobile data, but I am not at home now and the phone seems to have lost the device altogether ..... And I wont be home for several days ...... 😞
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Hi Dslack66,

You can still add it though, check this article: How do I share my WHD-PTCAM?
However, there are few steps that will be changed since you're away (give the article to your partner too):
  1. On Sharing the WHD-PTCAM, this needs to be done by your partner then on step 4, have your partner write the code above (the letters and numbers) and message it to you.
  2. On Adding a camera, this is you doing the steps. On step 3, instead of scanning the QR code, tap Enter located below and manually put the code given to you, then tap Done (top right) then continue following the rest of the steps.
Since you will have a copy of the code, you can also try re-installing the app and try doing it again.
Userlevel 1
Thanks John. No mobile reception here on my phone, so I will have to wait a week. So frustrating !!!
Tried the helpline, but she needed the model number, which isn't on the box, but is apparently on the camera !!!!
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Hi Dslack66,

Since you are using the AlwaysSafe app, there is only one camera compatible to it and that is the WHD-PTCAM. You can provide this if they need the model number.
Userlevel 1
Hi John

Miraculously over the weekend, the camera is now online..... without any involvement from either myself or my partner. So, possibly 3 scenarios .....

1) I have a friendly burglar who has been in my house and done something to the camera.
2) I have a dodgy camera that is online sometimes and offline other times.
3) There has been a software update ?

:-)

David
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I can't recall that we have an update for the camera, anyway, it will still inform you. One more thing that you might not have seen is the connection to your phone. I can't say the camera is dodgy the fact that your partner can access it the whole time, it was only you who cannot; therefore, your connection could be weak the time you were accessing the camera or there could be some restrictions on that network that you are using that we can't tell.
Userlevel 1
Hi John, my partner could access the camera when she was in the house. ..... But not when in the house. The weekend when the camera became visible outside of the house to both of us, I was 590 miles away from the house and my partner was 3000 miles away.

Either way, it is kind of working now. I say kind of, because today each time I log in, the camera view has changed. Sometimes it is looking at the floor, sometimes it is looking at the ceiling, sometimes at the wall. It is never in the position that it was left in !!!! Kind of useless if I had engaged the motion detection aspect of the camera .....
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
That will be hard to determine what's causing it because it could be a delay command sent by either you or your partner or someone literally moved the camera. To avoid the former to happen, make sure before you close the app, point it to the area you want it to face at; as for the latter, place it somewhere that is hard to reach (be mindful of the signal strength). Try reviewing the footages, that might help you identify if it was moved or not.
Userlevel 1
Hi jon. there is nobody in the house - hence why we got a security camera to try and keep an eye on it.

Is it normal for the camera to go offline 50% of the time ?

To repeat. there is nobody in the house to be switching the router or camera on and off. the camera is on an ethernet cable, so no wifi involved to connect the camera to the internet.

Some days i log onto the app and the camera is working, sometimes it just says it is offline. this is roughly 50% of the days. it will be working all day and then offline for a day (or more). is this normal? what could be causing this ?
Hi Dslack66 I too am experiencing the same problems that you are. I am away & hence I wanted to keep an eye on my house whike away. For a couple of weeks it worked fine but for the past 2 days I keep getting a message that its Offline.
Userlevel 1
snap s109 ... you must have been commenting on my post exactly the same time that i was commenting on your post .....
Okay... Seriously its really frustrating. Whats the point of buying a camera which appears OFFLINE now & again.
Userlevel 1
Totally agree. its pretty pointless. I was using this camera as an initial test as had planned to purchase a 4 camera Swann cctv sysyem to monitor the outside of my house ... at far greater expense. That is looking very remote now, unless this problem is resolved satisfactorily.
Hi guys, I've read both of your threads on this issue, I have EXACTLY the same issue as you both! I've tried WiFi, Ethernet and 3/4G connections in all possible combinations to try and get the ironically named "Always Safe" app to work consistently. My issue seems to be, it will work fine while I'm next to the camera, but when I'm a distance away from the camera and I try and manoeuvre it to my "preset marks" it drains the bit rate and ultimately crashes and goes offline (or so it says). If I'm next to the camera I can play all day with it and nothing bad happens it will also come back online when I go back out to it. My signal on 3/4G is decent so that's not the problem (especially as it has consistently worked when I'm the vicinity), it seems to me the common theme is the middle man between the camera and the phone, whether that be the app itself or the server at SWANN (if this is applicable). It's such a shame because the camera and it's features are actually pretty good, I discovered the alarm feature on it (by accident - and scared the crap out of me) which is really useful as I have the camera in an outbuilding and was considering buying a separate alarm system as well. But if this isn't going to work I might have look elsewhere.

Maybe, this is why the camera was so cheaply priced (less than £50 on Amazon), selling it off because it's unsupportable without massive infrastructure overhaul at SWANN (as @JohnL said, this is the only camera compatible with the "Always Safe app" and App development costs thousands) it smacks of they are getting shot of their stock to cut their losses.... Maybe?

Did either of you ( @S109 @Dslack66 ) find a solution to your (our) issue?
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Hi cs14,

If you wish to isolate your concern further, please create a separate thread since we need more details. Even though you have the same issue with them, there will still be some differences that could've caused the issue to happen.
I have exactly the same issue, purchased the camera a week ago. I am at home and when I connect to my WIFI, I can see and mange the camera. If I switch back to LTE, I get the message that the camera is online. I have performed a WIFI signal test and it is perfectly ok. I have also set port forwarding to port 9000 and that has not helped. It seems that the app has an issue when you are not on the same network as the camera. It appears that this issue has not been resolved.

I have tried reinstalling the app. This has not worked either. This is very frustrating as this is meant to be a security camera and it is not providing me any security at all!

Update: I needed to reset my camera and re add it to the app to get it to work on a remote network again. I will see how long this lasts
Hi gurdy, I sent mine back for a refund and bought a genbolt PTZ off Amazon, this worked for about 28 days then there was an app update and it stopped working after that so it went back for a refund. I am waiting for the EZVIZ c6t to come down in price on black Friday (it did on prime day) as this also has IFTTT compatibility and Alexa integration and by all accounts is reliable
I bought mine through a 3rd party, so I am not sure how I will go with getting a refund unless Swann admit there is a fault with the device. Certainly it is a hardware/firmware issue of some sort as only a reset of the device resolves the issue. I will be looking at alternatives for the remainder of the devices and dropping this one on e-bay, though I might take a small loss.

I will look at the EZVIZ. Would be interested in your feedback.