Question

Camera won't connect to network

• 31 October 2018
  • 3 replies

Hi all, I recently purchased the SWWHD-OUTCAM and I I'm having problems connecting it to my network through the SAFE By Swan App as it says "Camera only works on 2.4GHz network" every time I try and connect the camera. The problem is my router is both 2.4 & 5GHz and I do not control which frequency my devices are assigned to without messing around with the admin settings for my router. Yesterday I split the two frequency's but I still couldn't connect to the 2.4GHz frequency, so now I don't know what to do. The SWWHD-OUTCAM has an Ethernet port but for some reason I cannot setup the camera with the app through Ethernet. What should I do, Send it back or keep trying? As most routers are 5GHz I would of thought a modern camera would be able to connect quite easily to a 5GHz network and that it would connect when I plug it in to the network. Any ideas?

3 replies

Hi @lewis321,

Welcome to the Community!

We appreciate your feedback and we apologize for the trouble setting up the camera. Splitting your router's frequency is a great idea. Now let me help you with some useful steps to pair the camera. Before following the steps, make sure that the camera is sitting near the router (beside it) and is connected to the power.

1. Open the SAFE by Swann app and login your account.
  2. Tap Pair Device.
  3. Select Swann Outcam Camera.
  4. Make sure to follow the prompt and once everything is done, tap on Get Started.
  5. Now, you need to set the camera to Pairing mode.
a. Press and hold the Reset button at the back.
b. Wait until the LED at the front turns blue.
c. Once it’s blue, release the reset button.

Please make sure that the color of the IR LED light during the pair process is BLUE. If it is RED, reset the camera until it is colored BLUE.

1. Tap now on Yes if the Infrareds and status LED are now blinking. If they are not blinking, reset the camera.
  2. Tap Go to Settings to open the WiFi settings of the phone.
  3. . Look for a WiFi that says SwannCam-SWO-xxxx; xxxx is the last 4 characters of the MAC address attached at the base of the camera or on its box. Once connected, go back to the app.
  4. Once you’re in the app and connected to the camera’s WiFi, you will then see this page. Choose your preferred WiFi then type in the WiFi’s password.
  5. Tap on Connect.
  6. The camera will now try to connect to your network and pair itself to the account you are using. Once you see Setup Complete, type any name that you like on this text field then tap on Go to Dashboard.
Hope this helps.
@PaulA, I've followed your steps and I end up with a gray screen that tells me the camera is offline.
I followed all the steps, once it says connected the camera's blue light keeps flashing but the status on the app says it's offline. I've reset and re-paired several times and basically played around with this for over 3 hours now to no avail.

Is there a way to access the stream without using the Safe by Swann app? The app doesn't win any awards for usability or responsiveness. I've set the name for the camera every time I repaired but it still says "Unnamed"

Appreciate if you could help.
Hi @PaulA

I'm having these same issues. I've followed the steps correctly, connected the cameras to my wifi, renamed the cameras but on the home screen of the app the cameras are shown as being offline and an error appears to say that I cant rename the camera.

I've removed each camera and have followed the steps again and still no good. The firmware on the cameras are also needing to be updated, but I'm not able to do this either.

Could you please help :)
Thanks