Question

NVR8-7300/7400 Firmware update = 0GB HDD won't init

I've upgraded my NVR8-7300 using the 'NVR8-7400_151224.zip' file and then noticed my HDD showed 'good' in the S.M.A.R.T. tab but 0GB in the HDD tab. I initialized/formatted with no change. Then checked auto update and am now updated to latest firmware (my NVR model now shows as NVR-1616?), however my HDD is still smart testing as good but showing 0GB, even after multiple initializations.

Any help is much appreciated.

29 replies

Userlevel 5
Hi there,

The SMART information will be useful to troubleshooting the issue. Please provide that information.
Disk: 0 (1863GB)
WD-WCC4M5PE firmware: 80.00A80

Hopefully that helps. Thank you.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Have you restored the settings of the NVR back to default after the update?
Hello, thanks for your reply.

I have restored all settings and still the HDD is showing as no mount. This only occurred when I upgraded the firmware.

I have also reinstalled the firmware and still nothing. :-(

Received an alert for an update today. Updated to NVR-1616. Still nothing on the HDD mount issue.
Userlevel 4
Badge
I see. Since you've mentioned that the HDD information is showing under the SMART settings, have you tried to do playback if it is recording or not?
I have tried and no files are found for playing back. Very strange issue it seems.
Userlevel 4
Badge
This is a rare case. You have selected the right firmware file your NVR. And it was mentioned above that the model number, after the update, shows "NVR-1616" which is weird. What I can suggest to you is contact the Technical Support of Swann for proper troubleshooting and recommendation. Most likely, it will be processed for warranty, if it is still under warranty.
Sadly, this is the second unit I've purchased after the first one failed after the warranty went out. I purchased this refurbished replacement from Swann on eBay or Amazon possibly with a warranty there. Either way, it means two have failed in two years. :-(

Do you know what is wrong with the unit? Could I flash old firmware?
Userlevel 4
Badge
I really don't know what's causing that to happen. Try to remove the internal HDD of the NVR then have it inserted to a Desktop System Unit, format it on your computer using the FAT32 file system. Then insert it back to the NVR. Else, if you have a spare HDD, you can try to insert it to the NVR for testing purposes.

Unfortunately, haven't encountered the process in flashing the firmware of the unit or downgrading it to the previous version.
The drive is 2GB and will not format to FAT32. It seems swann NVRs prefer to have the drive volume unallocated and then the NVR can format internally. Doesn't seem to work.

As I said, this is the second one I've had in two years. These clearly don't last. I purchased a squaretrade warranty with this replacement model and I'm following that route. Hopefully I can get this repaired but I may just begin searching for another brand.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Hi bgraham,

Please access the Menu and go to Device then HDD and take a picture of it. Next, go to the S.M.A.R.T tab and take a picture of it too. Upload both images on your next response. To be clear, everything else is working fine except the HDD shows 0GB you said, right?
I've upgraded my NVR8-7300 using the 'NVR8-7400_151224.zip' file and then noticed my HDD showed 'good' in the S.M.A.R.T. tab but 0GB in the HDD tab. I initialized/formatted with no change. Then checked auto update and am now updated to latest firmware (my NVR model now shows as NVR-1616?), however my HDD is still smart testing as good but showing 0GB, even after multiple initializations.

Any help is much appreciated.

I have same issue (0GB) and cannot record 4MP

I have same issue (0GB)

Me too. The unit was working OK prior to the firmware upgrade, but now the HDD is showing as 0GB and won't format. Clearly the new firmware is broken. Is a solution likely to be forthcoming soon (my NVR is out of warranty)?
here is JamesC reply to me, I will remove the HDD from NVR to see if it work this way

• JamesC [img]https://d38av1t9zrt96v.cloudfront.net/swann-us/attachment/ed807512-8de8-4865-a5b6-9165b0e0efc3_thumb.png[/img]
Thanks Chu.
That is very strange. Do you have access to a PC you could connect the HDD to?
If so, then connect the HDD to a SATA port in the PC and using Disk Management remove all partitions that exist on that HDD then put it back in the NVR and try to init again? We have seen sometimes if the partition is not readable for some reason then the NVR is not able to format correctly, but removing all partitions in Windows then allows the NVR to treat the HDD as new and apply the correct format.
Thanks, it works after deleting partitions

Steps
1.Remove the HDD and install to HDD SATA enclosure

2.Delete all partitions of this HDD from your PC

3.Install the HDD back to NVR and re-INIT, now it is 2GB instead of 0GB

I assumed that fitting a brand new drive would fix the problem, so I decided to upgrade from the original 2TB drive to 3TB to give me more record time. To my surprise and annoyance, the symptom is exactly the same with the new drive: the S.M.A.R.T screen is showing correct values but the HDD screen shows 0GB capacity and 'Init' doesn't work.

I do not have a PC with a spare SATA connection so what is my next move?
if you have desk top PC, plug the HDD to your PC SATA connector and remove the all partitions in the HDD. the SWANN did not full test for the firmware (the firmware should do this procedure) ,so you must do it yourself. otherwise you need buy a 3.5" sata hard drive enclosure ($10~$20)

http://www.ifitjams.com/images/f4-54.jpg
> if you have desk top PC, plug the HDD to your PC SATA connector and remove
> the all partitions in the HDD.

I've now tried that. Deleting all partitions on the original 2TB drive (Windows 7) makes no difference: it's still shown as 0GB capacity and 'Init' reports "Please select HDD!" (even though it is selected). The new 3TB drive doesn't seem to be partitioned according to the PC (which is what I would have expected); it behaves the same way: shown as 0GB and 'Init' reports "Please select HDD!". S.M.A.R.T reports both drives correctly.

Everything was working before the firmware was "upgraded" but it seems that Swann do not make earlier versions available for download. I'm somewhat unhappy!
can you share your PC "Disk Management" screen dump?

Here you go. The 2TB drive is Disk 1 (1863.02 GB Unallocated):

I'm having more success with the 3TB drive. When I connected it to the PC it said that it needed to be initialised, and now it is recognised by the NVR and can be formatted! So it looks as though I may have solved my problem, although why the 2TB drive doesn't seem to work even after the partitions were deleted is a mystery.
if it said: "Please select HDD!" that means you did not select the HDD. THE SELECT every where in the software is solid filled rectangle box, only here in INIT is "check mark"

, only the check mark show up, that means HDD selected
> only here in INIT is "check mark"

Yes, I noticed that: it does seem inconsistent. Even in your posted images it is almost impossible to see the check mark; the main difference between the 'Not selected' and 'Selected' images is the highlight.

Without putting the 2TB drive back in the NVR (which obviously I'm not inclined to do, now the 3TB drive seems to be working) I can't be sure whether that was a factor in it seeming not to work after the partitions were deleted.

Another confusing feature is that the drive capacity is shown as 0GB until it is formatted, even though the S.M.A.R.T screen shows its capacity correctly. It makes no sense to have both 'Capacity' and 'Format' columns if the Capacity is always zero when the Format is 'no'!

Hopefully Swann will fix the firmware so that it isn't necessary to delete the partitions on a PC in the first place.

Thanks for your help.
I am having the same issues. My NVR8-7300 is not recognizing the HDD. It also is saying my model number is now NVR1616. WTF???