Question

Latest firmware has changed email alert content

• 22 June 2018
  • 5 replies

On Tuesday 19th, my NVR8-7450 received an OTA firmware update to v7.1.0-20180530
Normally I would be happy, but I can't find any changelog, also, the firmware change seems to have changed the content of email alerts:
Before, on the Release Candidate firmware, the email message format was...

Title: Alert from your NVR — A Motion event has been detected
Device Name: NVR8-7450 Camera Name: BackGarden Event type: Motion detection
Alert from your NVR — A motion event has been detected on one of your cameras; please check the attached image for reference.

Now, it reads:
Alert from your NVR — A Motion event has been detected
Device Name: NVR8-7450 Camera Name: CH04 Event type: Motion detection
Alert from your NVR — A motion event has been detected on one of your cameras; please check the attached image for reference.

In other words, it is not picking-up my camera's name
I've been through all the settings, but can't see any way to change the email content
btw - when I view my cameras, they are showing the names I gave them eg. BackGarden not CH01/2/3/4

Just to prove what I'm saying - here is a screenshot of my email trash folder from that time period
It clearly shows the format of the email alerts before and after the firmware update

5 replies

I logged this with Support - ticket #Z6FEDH

I've tried several settings at Support's suggestion - even done a "Load Defaults"
I even offered a remote-control session so I could demonstrate what's happening - rather than sending screenshots (but this offer was declined)

Another related? problem has also surfaced - when viewing the NVR's output via HDMI (I haven't got a VGA cable) ...

One each camera feed, I see my Camera's Name - eg. BackGarden, the Date & Time, and also "CH4"

Note#1- I really do mean "CH4" (with no Zero), whereas in the email alerts it says "CH04" and likewise for the other cameras
Note #2 - the filename of the email motion detection attachment is "Motion_CAMIP04_20180629_132720.jpg" (ie IP04 - with a Zero)
Note #3 - in the email alert thumbnail, and also the Android and Windows HomeSafe View apps, I (only) see my Camera's Name - eg. BackGarden, the Date & Time

Swann Support have referred this back to the Developers - I'll let you know when I hear anything
*Update* Swann Support have confirmed via the Developers:

"Seems that it is one of the limitations of the latest OTA version. The Development Team is working for a new firmware release that will target not just the email alert related issues but some improvements with the over-all functionalities of the unit.
We do not have the ETA for the firmware release yet but once it is available, you will be notified via OTA as well"

So, while I'm "happy" that it's a confirmed issue with the latest firmware (and not my setup)
I'm a little surprised that no one else has said "me too"
Hi TomH,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing trouble with the firmware upgrade and I am also very surprised to see no one else has said "me too"! I had not seen your thread or even noticed your issue yet but will certainly be looking out for it!

Please see the link below to my thread on here regarding my particular issues encountered with this so-called 'update'!😟

https://community.swann.com/nvrs-22/nvr8-7450-2018-firmware-update-issues-no-pre-record-upon-motion-detect-any-more-2660/index1.html#post10379

Hoping this helps some of you folks out there in some small way.

Best Regards,

Drew

(EDIT: spelling!)
Hi TomH,
Not exactly a "Me Too" but am having problems since the update. My first sign anything was wrong was 2 cameras becoming inverted, and no overnight activations, and now its not much use!
Support was quick to answer but refused to acknowledge either it being a software issue, or that a fix is iminent.
I have searched unsuccessfully for an answer, and Swann doesn't respond to my emails, so, do you know if a fix is out there?
Cheers,
H.P.
*Just got a new firmware from Swann*

Swann were a bit "secretive" about new firmware - Level1 support insisted there wasn't a newer version than what I already had - v7.1.0-20180530
I had to go to Level2 to get it (v7.1.0-20188010) - even then, L2 wouldn't give me the link, they insisted on a remote-control session, and copy & pasted the link and initiated the download from a non-public dropbox.
I did ask L2 if this was still a beta firmware, and they said it was not

Anyway, I applied the firmware update via a USB stick - also did a factory reset, and also reformatted my HDD (because Swann always seem to want this before considering it may really be their problem)

Things that are NOT fixed include:

Motion detection emails - these emails are still showing the camera's Channel number, rather than the name I gave to the camera eg. "CH01" instead of "Front Garden" - this used to work, before the update to v7.1.0-20180530

The attached thumbnail image in the Motion detection emails similarly contain the Channel number as part of the filename

When viewing the "Live Image" view - (either via locally attached VGA monitor, or an HDMI attached TV)
On each camera's window, I "see" the camera Name eg. "Front Garden", and the Time/Date - these can be moved and repositioned elsewhere in the setup screens

But I am still seeing in the top-left of each camera's window an embedded channel number: CH01, CH02 etc. - these are not selectable, and can't be repositioned or turned-off

I will feed this back to Support