Question

Do the Security Cameras Require WiFi?

• 10 July 2018
  • 4 replies

Hi,

I am wondering about the wifi requirements for the Inside/Outside Smart Security Cameras. Am I able to have one of these cameras outside (e.g., on my garage) and somehow download/view the footage without using a wifi connection?

I do not have the option of wifi at my location, so I am wondering if it's possible for the camera to film without wifi. Could I then manually connect the camera to my computer to view the footage?

Here is the info on the camera I am looking at (it's a 4-pack):

In/Out Security Cameras

MODEL: SWWHD-INTCAMPK4-US

UPC: 000000840236120123

Thanks any help or advice you can give me!

BluSky

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Hi BluSky,

Welcome to the community!

This camera requires an internet connection for it to work properly. Though it may record if you set it up initially on another network then place it to where you want it to be, it will be cumbersome to get the camera back to the initial place of set up to be seen and this is not how the product was intended to be used. I believe the best option for you is a DVR instead.
Hi @JohnL ,

Thank you for your reply! Sorry if this is an obvious answer, but I have never used security cameras before:

Am I able to connect the camera to a DVR and record video that way (without wifi or other internet connection)? Or are you suggesting another idea/product?

Thank you, again, for you help!
BluSky
Hi @JohnL ,

Thank you for your reply! Sorry if this is an obvious answer, but I have never used security cameras before:

Am I able to connect the camera to a DVR and record video that way (without wifi or other internet connection)? Or are you suggesting another idea/product?

Thank you, again, for you help!
BluSky

Hi again @JohnL !

I did a little more research on the SWANN website and see that SWANN sells actual DVR security systems. I assume that this is what you were referring to in your reply.

Do these DVR security systems require a wifi/internet connection?

Thanks,
BluSky
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
It doesn't need to if your intention is just recording and playback. If you are planning to view it on a phone or computer remotely, then that's the only time you'll need internet connection to the recorder. WiFi won't do since it's not wirelessly capable.

Try checking some manual or Quick Start Guide to give you some idea.