Question

'Video loss' too all cameras

• 30 September 2018
  • 13 replies

About 2 years ago i installed the DVR8-4600 with six cameras. It has been working great until a few days ago when it all of a sudden started to display 'video loss' on all of my cameras (when viewed on the monitor, TV aand mobile phone). I have read and tested the trouble shooting suggestions with no luck. I have even tried to re-boot the system.

It seems odd that all cameras are displaying the same message therefore i am assuming it is harddrive related?

Can someone please help me get my system back online and functioning again?

Thank you

13 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi @Evia88:

Welcome to the community!

Have you tried to follow this troubleshooting steps:
Question:
  • Are the cameras showing IR lights during night time?
  • May I know the Video Standard of your system, is it PAL or NTSC? It is located under SYSTEM>GENERAL.
  • What country you are located?
Thank you!
The IR lights do not appear to be functioning on the cameras. Video stadard is PAL. I reside in Australia.

Thank you.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi @Evia88:

Thank you for the information.

Video Standard is correct based on your location. Since the cameras are not showing any IR lights, that could mean that the cameras are not getting any power at all.

Have you checked the PSU for your cameras, if it is properly connected? Else, try to connect to other outlet.
Are the cameras you have now are the ones in the kit or no?

Please follow the troubleshooting steps above for you to isolate the cause of the issue. If DONE and still not working, please provide the steps you have done.

Thank you!

NOTE: Power Adapter/Power Supply/Power Plug/PSU are the same.
I have checked all of the cables extending into the DVR and they all appear correct. I have connected the camera power supply to a known functioning power point with nil affect.

Several days ago, all cameras (6) began displaying 'video loss' at the same time.

What further tests can i do to narrow in on the issue?
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi @Evia88:

I see. The PSU for your cameras are connected to a power splitter (see picture below). Have you tried to remove that power splitter from the PSU of the cameras and have the cable of the camera connected directly to the PSU? If YES, have you tried swapping PSUs? DVR's PSU have it connected to the cameras and the cameras' PSU have it connected to the DVR?

I have now connected the camera directly to the PSU and bypassed the splitter and the cameras work. I assume that the splitter is now faulty and a new splitter will rectify my issue
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi @Evia88:

Thanks for the update. Most likely that that the power splitter is faulty or grounded. It can be purchased in any electronic stores in your place.
Further to my last enquiries i have conducted with you. I have since purchased a new power splitter. I can plug in one camera and it works fine. When i try to plug in the 2nd camera (or sometime the 3rd) it drops out all cameras on the monitor and again displays 'video loss'. Can you help me to further fix this?
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi @Evia88:

Might be that the power power adapter is not enough to power up the cameras. Each camera needs 500mA, if you have 4 cameras then the output rating of the power adapter should be 12V 2A or 12V 2000mA.

Question: All cameras are working when its connected directly to the PSU or one at a time to the power splitter?
Each camera works when connected individually to wither the PSU or the splitter. The problem occurs when several cameras are connected to the splitter.

I purchased the Swann CCTV system as a kit and have not made any alterations or additions. Are you saying that the supplied power adapter is not enough to power the 6 cameras which have also been supplied within the kit? The DVR accommodates up to 8 cameras therefore i would have assumed that the supplied equipment would sufficiently power up to that many cameras?
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi @Evia88:

Might be that the PSU is no longer providing sufficient power to the cameras. You can use a volt meter to test. Also, please check the output rating of the PSU. For 6 cameras, it should have atleast 12V 3A or 12V 3000mA. Or to test, you can try to use the DVR's PSU to the cameras. Normally, the DVR's PSU has the output rating of 12V 2A and can power up to maximum of 4 cameras.

Do PSU's lose power outage over time?

If i purchase a new stronger PSU, will that be fine to connect it to my 6 power splitter and 6 camera system?
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi @Evia88:

Yes that is right. It might be damaged also due to power outage, short circuit or lightning. Yes, you can buy a brand new PSU with the output rating of 12V 3A up to 12V 4A.