Question

Auto-Upgrade DVR8-4980

Show first post

71 replies

Userlevel 2
It didn’t look like it went offline at all .. here is a better picture..

Userlevel 2
Thanks very much Reaper, I will pass that on!
Userlevel 2
@Reaper7
The engineers have asked if you could back up the video to USB (ideally 01:00 - 01:30 but if that is too much then 01:15 - 01:20 would do) then upload to Dropbox or similar and PM me the link so I can share it with them? They want to analyse the video file to see if there any clues as to why the PIR drops.
They have also asked for a picture of the time segment 01:00 - 02:30 and the event log from the same time period if you are able to supply those?
Userlevel 2
Sorry but it has already rewritten over itself ... if it happens again I’ll save the footage...
Userlevel 2
Sorry but it has already rewritten over itself ... if it happens again I’ll save the footage...
Ok, thanks anyway.
If you do see it again let me know and I will send it to the team.
Userlevel 2
@Reaper7
The engineer has asked if you could check to see if the log file for that time/day exists, it is the far right tab in the Search menu and you can back it up to USB as per example below.

It shows all activity on your DVR.
Userlevel 2

Userlevel 2

Userlevel 2
@Reaper7
Thanks for that. Can you export the log to a file, it has more value then as I can share it with the engineering team?
Once you have sent the email can you let me know so I can check it please?
Userlevel 2
You bet.. where do I send it to..
Userlevel 2
Thanks for that, you can PM it to me if you want and I will forward it on.
Userlevel 2
Do you have a email I can send it to?
Userlevel 2
Just email it to tech@swann.com attention to James C please.
Userlevel 2
@Reaper7
Thanks Rob,
I see the log section you sent in your email but can you export the whole log for the day the PIR dropped last as a file using that menu with the backup option to USB, this will give us a complete context?
Userlevel 2
Hi to all on this thread.
We have a firmware update (V7.1.0-20180512) for the DVR8-4980 that is currently under testing but is not yet available for OTA release.
This update includes:
  • Update to fix where under certain circumstances the PIR sensor in the camera was not detected and the DVR would then change its detection logic. PIR trigger option should now stay set.
  • Fixed a minor bug in the OTA system where too many characters in the change log could cause DVR instability when loading update
  • Added the ability to enter a camera's OSD (On-Screen Display) menu to make adjustments to the image and other camera settings using the DVR's PTZ controls.
Note that this firmware can only be applied if the current firmware version is the transition version that is noted by me in this separate thread. If you don't have the 20180306 or later firmware you must first update to that version, then apply the firmware noted at the top of this post.
As with before, this firmware is beta until we place it on our OTA server and may contain some small bugs.

James
Userlevel 2
I just installed it .. I’ll let you know how it works...
Hi James,

I would like to report the bug that is full screen bug in Alarm section, I remember when I first bought the system and set the full screen for each camera channel, when a channel detects a motion that channel will turn into individual full screen mode, but after a few firmware upgraded, now that the motion is detected in this channel, but the full screen is on another camera channel, let say the channel 1 is detecting a cat roaming around in the backyard and sounds the alarm to alert the motion is detected, and the screen is shifted to fullscreen mode which showing the channel 3 or 4 and with out any object in the background, I first thought it was false alarm bug but after turn off the full screen to see other screens, I realize it might be software bug for fullscreen mode switch with its own detection, please check your system and help sort out the bug.

Thanks!
Userlevel 3
Badge
Hi to all on this thread.
We have a firmware update (V7.1.0-20180512) for the DVR8-4980 that is currently under testing but is not yet available for OTA release.

As with before, this firmware is beta until we place it on our OTA server and may contain some small bugs.

James

Thank James for the info. I did get this update via OTA on Saturday. Thus far is seems pretty solid as the upgrade completed without any issues. So far I've not had any issues with the PIR and Motion Detection. However, I do have mine still set to only reboot occasionally during the day while I am at work. I didn't think to try rebooting at night to see if it still happens, but as long as the PIR is working overnight I am good to go. I appreciate you guys continuing to work on this.
Userlevel 2
@Skylex17 I have tried to reproduce your fullscreen issue here but mine works as expected. Have you checked to see if the live view has been rearranged so that the channels are not in the original positions? It is possible to do this by clicking and dragging a channel to a different location on the screen and I have managed to do this by accident before.
I have replaced the dvr8 yesterday because one ch got realy dark and stopped detecting PIR what ever I did. Now the new/replacement dvr8 works great w that channel/camera/cable combo confirming that the previous DVR had an issue on that specific channel but.... now I have a bigger issue on Ch1 w unstable video, no video, no PIR etc. tried Auto, 1, 2, 3, 4 (about 60m cable, using Swann original cable with a Sawnn extenssion cable). The other 4 channels were unstable for the first 8hrs too despite using original kit cables. Once day light was sufficient to turn off the LEDs it got more stable but that ch1 was ok only for 30mins and then black screen after that on that ch1. This tells me the internal DVR components are even more marginal on the new/replacement DVR vs the original DVR.

Swann team: you need to perform TS'ing in remote on each of these systems if you want to make reasonable progress on these video quality/PIR issues....
btw I upgraded to 0512 as it advertised/popped on the screen.

Is there a self adjusting/burn in period for new dvrs ?

otherwise I have little confidence this dvr will ever work.