Question

Conductors in Camera Cables

• 15 October 2018
  • 1 reply

Greetings, this is my first Post.

A contractor has "buried" the camera sockets and my extension cable sockets (Red Power and Blue BNC Video) into the wall !

So I have needed to cut off the camera cable and the extension cable each side of the wall leaving all 4 connectors inside.

I now need re-connect the internal conductors as I have to re-locate the camera.

The camera cable has 4 internal conductors (Red, Yellow and 2 x Black) and the long extension cable conductors are Red and White inside a Copper wire screen.

Do I connect (solder) Red to Red, Yellow to White and join the 2 blacks to the copper screen?

Until I pared back the outer insulation, I had assumed that the internal conductors in the short camera cable and the long extension cable would colour match.....but not so.

I emailed this question to Swann, but as yet have had no response.

I'm sure I am not the first to have needed to re-join a cut or damaged cable.

1 reply

Did you get anywhere with this issue? Swann seem to have the default response of 'it'll invalid the warranty, don't do it' which is pretty useless.
I want to get my cables through non-massive holes, so I'll be cutting and rejoining - that means I won't have the issues with colours not matching though!

The black wires (grounds) should be individually joined, as per the red and yellow (or white) individual conductors, using a decent quality connector. The shield on the data cable should also be joined through another terminal - or ideally through the chassis of the connection box - made of metal to help reduce EMI if possible.

If anyone's interested, I'll let you know how I got on next week...